Modern homes are well sealed to keep heating and cooling indoors. While this improves energy efficiency, inadequate fresh air, indoor contaminants and nonstop recirculation can lead to problems.
Don’t worry, though, because Assured Appliance & Heating & Air can help you have an energy-efficient home that’s also comfortable. Our services include an air quality audit, air duct cleaning and products to help improve indoor air quality in Genoa, Illinois.
Call us at +1 847-293-0047 today to start refreshing your home’s indoor air quality.
Signs Your Home Has Poor Indoor Air Quality
Is your home’s air healthy? It may not be as clean as you think. Pollution can be two to five times higher indoors compared to outdoors, as stated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Indoor air contaminants floating through your home’s air can lead to headaches and allergy symptoms. And mold and mildew can provoke a number of health concerns.
While these symptoms may be a consequence of other issues, they can be evidence your home is struggling with indoor air quality (IAQ) problems. This is particularly true if you feel normal again while you’re out of the house.
- Dry eyes, nose, throat or skin
- Headaches and sinus irritation
- Allergies or asthma symptoms that are more intense than usual
- Coughing and sneezing
- Dizziness or nausea
An old heating and cooling system will sometimes be contributing to indoor air quality problems, primarily if it’s unable to filter air, control humidity or keep temperatures stable.
Here are some other signs you may need to improve your indoor air:
- Excess static or mold growth
- Large amounts of dust
- Stuffy or musty odors
How Can I Stop Indoor Air Quality Problems?
Avoiding indoor air quality problems is relatively straightforward with just 10 simple tips:
- Plan an indoor air quality audit with Assured Appliance & Heating & Air. We’ll test areas that influence air quality, such as humidity, carbon monoxide and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Then we’ll walk you through problems we find and how you can improve them.
- Clean consistently to control dust mites, which can aggravate allergies and asthma.
- Keep your home free of secondhand smoke.
- Install a whole-home filtration system to eliminate odors, rather than masking them with air fresheners or fragrant candles. The pollution includes chemicals that can trigger headaches or upset respiratory conditions.
- Vent gas-burning appliances, like stoves and water heaters, outside.
- Keep your home’s humidity levels comfortable with a humidifier or dehumidifier, according to your needs. Set humidity under 50% to restrict mold and mildew spread.
- Check your home for radon. Long-term exposure to this invisible radioactive gas is the number one cause of lung cancer for nonsmokers, according to the EPA. You can buy a radon test kit online or get in contact with your state radon program for information on discounted or free kits.
- Use a ventilation system to replace contaminated indoor air with fresh outdoor air.
- Find natural cleaning and painting substances that are low in or free of VOCs. Excess levels of VOCs can aggravate symptoms for family members with respiratory conditions.
- Mount carbon monoxide detectors right outside bedrooms.
Start Cleaning Your Air Today with Assured Appliance & Heating & Air
With a full roster of Certified Pros and indoor air quality solutions, Assured Appliance & Heating & Air can help your family breathe much easier. Call us at +1 847-293-0047 or contact us online today to begin.