Whether you like winter or prefer the warmer months in Genoa, most of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a big impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Look at the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that should be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your house warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it needs to be replaced. We advocate at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Install a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can set temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The professionals at Assured Appliance and Heating & Air can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Assured Appliance and Heating & Air in Genoa a call to get started. You can reach us at 847-306-8990 or book an appointment with us online.