Living at ease in the summer can be taken for granted, particularly until you experience a taste of discomfort with an air conditioner breakdown. It can occur at the worst moments; you’re eating lunch and suddenly feel how warm your kitchen feels or you can’t fall asleep at night because you are so warm enfolded in your covers. Think you’re feeling this uncomfortable feeling? It might be time for an air conditioner replacement.
More often than not, it isn’t the thermostat’s mistake; the settings can be working appropriately, but it still states that the temperature is above 80 degrees. It’s most often caused by an old or faulty air conditioner that requires a call to the professionals to find out what’s wrong. There are many reasons why air conditioners break down, especially considering the weather in Genoa. Here are some things that you can examine for before you call Assured Appliance and Heating & Air if you think your air conditioner has quit working:
- Broken outdoor fan motor: There is a fan motor on your outdoor air conditioning system that helps transport the heat from your home to the outdoors. If you inspect your system and find that the fan isn’t running, it means that the heat relocation isn’t transpiring, causing the warm air to stay in your home. This problem can also trigger overheating of the compressor and other potential internal harm to your system.
- Dirty filters: It’s one of the most likely problems that Assured Appliance and Heating & Air sees. These filthy filters in your air conditioner reduce appropriate airflow, affecting the air quality in your home, which is really problematic when allergy season hits. Unclean air filters can also reduce the efficiency in your home and raise your monthly energy costs.
- Blocked air flow: Always check for an obstruction or blockage in your return-air or supply-air grille. This can cause your air conditioner to decrease efficiency and reduce speed.
TIP: Make sure the grilles aren’t hidden by furniture or other home items, as well.
- Outside obstructions: Proper air flow could be also slowed down from outside obstructions around your system, such as shrubbery, trees, lawn chairs, etc. When the air flow is hindered, it can affect it’s cooling abilities. Make sure that your system is uninhibited by obstacles and is cleaned frequently to decrease the possibility of air conditioner replacement.
Once you’ve gone through these four system checks and your air conditioner still isn’t operating, here are a list of questions and steps that you should look into and answer to get your system up and functioning again. (Only progress to the next question if the system doesn’t turn on after doing the step before it):
- Is your thermostat temperature programmed below the indoor temperature?
- Is your system switch in the COOL position?
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch ON?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply ON?
- Is your house fuse box/breaker box whole or has it blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker?
- If none of these things fix your system operation, call Assured Appliance and Heating & Air at 847-306-8990.
Don’t let an air conditioner breakdown or replacement keep you up at night. If you follow these steps and keep your system under regular maintenance, you should have you air conditioner running again in no time. Our team at Assured Appliance and Heating & Air in Genoa is always here to help – give us a call at 847-306-8990.