According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the age of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are totally opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
3. Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or pet hair?
5. Have pests or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to ask Assured Appliance and Heating & Air in Genoa about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Assured Appliance and Heating & Air. A regular evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Checking your system regularly and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts clear.
More ways you can help maintain your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from spaces such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and switch them out when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in poor or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts clear will help you make sure the air in your Genoa home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning regularly. Call the experts at Assured Appliance and Heating & Air at 847-306-8990 or arrange an appointment online.