Spring is in the air here in Genoa and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Assured Appliance and Heating & Air team has some tips that will help keep your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home look as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to sync up with your regular schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a reliable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re you’re on vacation letting you know that everything at home is as it should be.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your amazing vacation on social media, but try to wait until after you make it home to post anything about your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so no sense letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to save some energy while you’re away is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your comfort level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep agenda, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give Assured Appliance and Heating & Air in Genoa a call at 847-306-8990.